Now the days are shortening again ('it'll be Christmas before you know it', 'what happened to the summer' etc, etc), I see various pundits are offering their best of the first 6 months assessments.
When - like them - I stop and think, it's been a pretty vintage year for new records. And I don't like to miss an opportunity for a list.
My top ten, in the order I bought them rather than making any attempt at ranking, look like this:
- Yo La Tengo - Fade
- Black Twig Pickers - Rough Carpenters
- Billy Bragg - Tooth and Nail
- David Bowie - The Next Day
- Hiss Golden Messenger - Haw
- Steve Earle - The Low Highway
- Golden Gunn - Golden Gunn
- Kurt Vile - Wakin' On A Pretty Daze
- Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
- Tunng - Turbines
All available on vinyl and all well worthy of your attention.